Green and Yellow peas Sprouts
Sundal is a South Indian snack made out of Beans , Peas , Chick peas and some kind of lentils. It is served in the evening and also prepared during some festivals. To make Sundal, the Legumes is soaked for atleast 12 hours and then steam cooked, follwed by seasoning.
These days, I have started sprouting frequently because of its high nutritional benefits and easy to make them. It is nice to have them harvested by myself fresh from my kitchen. These tiny little plants are rich in fibre and easily digestible.
Today, I am posting Sundal with 2 different types of legumes.
Green and Yellow peas Sprouts Sundal
In India this Peas sundal is also called by the main ingredients used in it as Thenga Manga pattani Sundal (Coconut, Mango, Peas Sundal). It is very popular snack served in paper cones in beach side.
Green Gram Sprouts Sundal
- Lentils or Peas or Beans – 2 cups ( Sprouts or Pulses soaked overnight)
- Oil – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urad dhal – 2 tsp
- Dry red chilli – 2 nos
- Curry leaves – 2 strands
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger – 1 tsp, finely chopped or grated
- Coconut – 1/8 cup, fresh shredded coconut
- Raw Mango – 1/8 cup, cut in to small pieces
1. To make sprout, Soak the Pulses overnight and wash them. In a wet thin kitchen towel tie them and keep them covered in a vessel. Let them be in a dark place like oven. Sprinkle little water over the towel everyday. After 2 days you can find the sprouts.
2. Pressure cook the pulses or sprouts with little sprinkled salt on them. Now do the seasoning by adding the oil to the hot pan.
3. Add the mustard and wait to crackle. Add urad dhal and mix for minute. Add chilli, asafoetida, curry leaves and stir for a minute.
4. Now add this seasoning to the cooked pulses. You can also add the optional ingredients for a rich taste.
Tip : 1. You can also make the sprouts and store it in a air tight box in the freezer for weeks.
2. You can also mix different types of legumes or sprouts and make a Mutligrain Sundal.