Pulses are the main source of protein for vegetarians. People in India include atleast one varitety of legumes in their daily food consumption. Adai is pancake made with different variety of lentils and rice. Everytime when I make this, I like to include different variety of lentils. I have also choosen Chickpeas sprouts and Rice along with other 5 kinds of Indian Lentils. Its one’s own creativity to add number of different pulses. So, Just go ahead and use whatever lentils you have.
Here is the Recipe..
- Coconut – 1 cup, fresh coconut cut in to small pieces
- Onion – 2 nos, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Salt for taste
- Oil – few spoons
To soak and grind:
- Chickpeas Sprout – 2 cups
- Moong dhal – 1 cup
- Toor Dhal – 1 cup
- Masoor dhal – 1 cup (red lentils)
- Urad dhal – 1 cup
- Chenna dhal – 1 cup
- Rice – 1 cup
- Dry red chilli – 2 nos
- Garlic pods – 3
1. Soak the chickpeas overnight and tie them in a thin kitchen towel and leave it in a dark place for 2 days. Sprinkle water atleast once in a day. After 2 days you can see nice sprouts.
2. Soak urad dhal and rice. Soak the Moong, Toor, Masoor and chenna dhal together with red chillies and garlic for 2 hours.
3. Now drain all the water and grind the ingredients coarsely by adding little water. Grind Rice and Urad dhal together finely.
4. Mix up rest of the ingredients and the batter. The batter should be thick.
5. Heat the griddle and pour some batter and spread it in a circular motion. Add few drops of oil to the sides.
6. Turn it to both the sides and cook for atleast 3 min in a slow flame. Serve it hot with Chutneys.
Tip: 1. Grinding Adai batter coarse may give a good texture and nice taste.
2. Adding small pieces of coconut in Adai makes crunchy and can feel the individual coco taste in between.
This recipe is participating in Let’s Sprout contest by Priya.
And its Award time. I would like to sincerely thank dear Rani from PranisKitchen for sharing with me this following Award. Thanks Rani. Rani has got good collection of native Kerala Recipes.
Thank you friends for your time in reading this post.