Just recalling our trip to Portugal last year while writing this… Portuguese people are very warm and welcoming. We covered almost good part of south and traveled till Lisbon on the east. You can notice a good difference in culture & food between south and upper Portuguese. The three common words we could hear very often in Portugal is ’Obrigado ‘ , ‘ Ola’ and ‘Piri Piri’. we had no idea of any Portuguese until we arrived there. The first two words are thank you and hello. Piri Piri is hot chili sauce made from bird’s eye chillies and some added spices. You may not miss this sauce in any of the restaurants there and they also warn you that its very spicy. This is something like Tabassco sauce but i find piri piri a milder and bit tangy one. This is also popular in African countries.
Piri Piri Chicken is a popular chicken dish in Portugal. I spiced it up a little bit in my own way…I am using ready made Piri Piri sauce with slight addition of spices.
- Chicken – 250 gms
- Piri piri sauce – 5Tbs
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- White pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Orange food color a pinch( optional)
- Olive oil – 1 Tbs
- Salt as required for taste
1. Marinate the chicken with piri piri sauce with pepper little salt. Add the food coloring to get the bright orange color. Food coloring is optional.
2. Add oil to tbe hot pan and add ginger garlic paste and saute it for 2 min in medium heat.
3. Now add the marinated chicken and increase the heat to high. Cook for 3-5 min and incorporating oil and ginger garlic paste mixture on all sides of chicken. until a nice brown color coat.
4. Cover the pan and cook for another 10- 15 minutes in medium heat, after 10 minutes turn the chicken pieces into other side for covered cooking.
5. Once it is done, serve it warm with Piri Piri sauce.
we enjoyed this chicken with sauteed beans and sesame and baby cucumber.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————Sagres and some pictures : Located in Algarve Portugal, this place is famous for its beautiful beaches and one can visit the south western tip of europe. The beaches are are surrounded by big strech of mountains. There is also a light house and remains of 14th century sailing school.
Light house in Sagres, Portugal and South western tip of Europe.