Lebkuchen, is one of the very famous Christmas treat here in Germany. The word Kuchen means Cake.
To prepare this,First i made it as a dough for the bread, then rolled it in a cookie sheet and used cookie cutter for the heart shape and later i baked it. Finally, Riya and i enjoyed decorating together with colors of Royal icing.
Lebkuchen can be compared to Gingerbread, but the spices vary between them. Usually made it into heart shape and decorated with icing.
Last time when i made, i used the substitute for Allspice (Nutmeg, cloves & Cinnamon). Never worked with this spice before but definitely liked the aroma.The aroma of this Lebkuchen spice blend is very intense and gives a Christmasy feeling….Lebkuchen has got a unique taste unlike other cakes.
1.Cinnamon – 2 inch stick
2.Cloves – 10nos
3.Corriander seeds – 1tsp
4.Allspice – 1tsp
5.dried ginger- 1/2 inch
6.Cardamom – 2nos
7.Nutmeg – 1/4 of one nut
1.All purpose flour-600gms
4.Lebkuchen spice mix – 2Tbsp
5.Brown sugar – 100gms
6.Honey – 100ml
7.finely Chopped candied oraange-50gms
7.Extra flour for dusting
1. one Egg white
2. Powdered sugar-180gms
Whisk 1& 2 to get a beautiful snow white icing. Add colors as needed.
Method to prepare Lebkuchen:
1. For the Lebkuchen spice add all the spice ingredients in a spice grinder
with a tablespoon of sugar and blend it to fine powder..
2. Now for the dough, add the flour in a bowl followed by butter, spice
powder,egg,sugar,honey, candied orange and mix it in to a dough.
3. Leave the dough covered for 1/2 an hour.
4. Now roll the dough and using cookie cutter cut it into desired shapes.
5. Bake it at 160C for 10-12 min in a preheated oven.
6. Once the cookies are cooled apply the Royal icing and leave it to dry for
couple of hours. Enjoy the festive cookie…
Merry Christmas to one and all!